Print media is the general term given to printed materials used to promote businesses, services or events.
Print media is very diverse and can include anything from leaflets, posters, keyrings, pen, pull-up banners, folders and more fun stuff. It is basically, anything on which your logo, service or artwork can be printed and displayed to potential customers, (advertising in newspapers and magazines also falls under the umbrella of print media - which we cover here but in this section, we focus on printed materials).
Our independent printers offer a full range of print media services in Pentref-y-groes, to promote brands through this proven and established marketing medium. We work with a variety of different printers to get you the best prices and quality on all your print media. We can create leaflets and posters at any size you require, from standard sizes through to something more bespoke.
If you are interested in getting costs and information on our print media services contact us today.
What is Print Media?
As mentioned above, the term print covers a whole range of different formats. Leaflets and posters are the most popular form of print media and are a relatively cheap way to get your message out to a broad cross-section of society. Most shops, pubs, bars, cinemas, clubs, stations, libraries etc all stock leaflets, whilst posters are still displayed in Pentref-y-groes on noticeboards, in shop windows and other high-footfall areas. As printed media reach into local communities in such a "grass-roots way" they are highly effective and often offer a good return on investment. This is why print media continues to be so popular with many advertisers.
Types of Print Media
The main forms of print media are listed below but our printers can basically help you with any branding and printing - just ask us!
- Leaflets – leaflets are the most popular form of print media. They are great because they allow you to put as much information on them as you like. They come in many different shapes and sizes and can be printed on one side, two sides, four sides, fold-out versions etc. The most typical sizes you see are known as DL and A5. You can also die-cut them (cut into certain shapes – round, square, triangle etc.) to make yourself stand out further. You can print from as little as 1 leaflet up to millions. Costs vary based on the quantity, size of leaflet and the quality of paper you decide to use.
- Posters – similar to leaflets there are lots of different options in terms of poster sizes. The most common poster sizes we deal with are A3, A4, 4 sheets, 6 sheets. Other options include A0, A1, A2, B2. Sometimes you may want something which doesn’t fit these specifications, don’t worry we get that printed too!
- Banners – outdoor banners are those found on the side of buildings, schools gates, roadside railings (normally manually attached). They are great at promoting local events and businesses and are normally hardwearing as they are made from strong PVC. There are no standard sizes for these, they are typically about 2 metres wide by 10 metres long, but can be longer or shorter. Hardwearing and tough they are good value for money. They are cheaper versions of typical outdoor ad options or billboard advertising.
- Pull up banners – these are popular as they are cheap and portable, so you can move them around to various locations. They are excellent for promoting at stalls, receptions, schools etc.
- Bespoke banners/standees - remember the poke-your-head-through-the-empty-face-standees at the pier ends in Blackpool, Southend, Weston Super-mare or Brighton? Well, interactive standees like that are coming back and are a clever way to get your customers and people to physically engage with what you are promoting. People often take photos of such standees and post them on social media, making these stands really come to life and meaning that your product will be promoted and advertised to a much wider audience than just where the standee is physically sat.
- Stickers/badges - always great to give out at events. Stickers and badges can be of various sizes, shapes and colours. Again if you can think of a clever way to incorporate them into what you are doing, you can literally have people walking around promoting you.
- Stationary – branding stationary has been popular for years and is particularly so for companies and business - often great to give out at the end of meetings. Examples of stationary print media include pens, pencils, rubbers, mousemats and pads. They often have good "pick up" as they are practical and useful, they can also hang around for quite a long time.
Other popular ideas include branded cups, key rings, folders and envelopes. As you can see the list is almost endless!
What are the Costs of Printing?
As mentioned above the cost of printing depends on different factors. These are namely:
- Quantity - the number you want printing will obviously affect the price. The more you want, the more expensive.
- Quality of paper – the thickness (GSM) you print on will contribute to print media costs. Basically the thicker and nicer the paper the more expensive it will.
- Finish - the decision on this is up to you and “the look” you are going for. You can also choose gloss, matt or even laminate finishes to make your leaflet shiny and stand out from the others. More expensive and luxury brand marketing campaigns tend to go for thicker paper and expensive laminate finishes.
- Turn-around time – how quickly you want your leaflets or posters printing; in an hour, overnight, a few days, a week etc. The sooner you want it the more expensive it can be.
Our various printers can advise you on paper quality and quantities so you get the appropriate amount of leaflets in Pentref-y-groes at the quality and finish you desire.
Which Industries use Print Media?
Print media is used by a diverse range of companies and businesses. Print media is particularly popular with the following industries:
- Theatre shows and productions - leaflets and posters are used commonly to promote theatre productions both in the West End and across the UK, they are able to show bright colourful images, artwork and carry review quotes. They are a good way of conveying a range of information.
- Charity Marketing - as charities often work on restricted budgets, cheap leaflets and posters are a great way to promote their work and spread the word. They are used especially to promote local fundraising events.
- Local Council and elections - we all get them through our doors. Leaflets for the relevant and different political parties are a common marketing device, again the low cost of print media allows lots to be printed and an area to be door dropped (the technical word for putting leaflets through doors!)
- Sports and Fitness - popular with local gyms due to the ability to reach a cross-section of society, especially in the January new member recruitment drive when people are looking to get healthy.
- Healthcare - leaflets and informative posters are often displayed in doctors waiting rooms. They are great at informing and educating the general public about health issues and developments.
If you think print media promotional materials could work for you, drop us a message today.
Cheap Print - Top Tip
When getting cheap printing quotes typically a lot of cheap printers will state “we can get you the cheapest leaflets” or “we print the cheapest leaflets in the UK” but you have to make sure you are comparing “like for like” in size of the leaflet, how many are being printed, GSM, finish, if delivery is included etc - otherwise you will be comparing apples with pears!
Frequently Asked Questions About Print Media
- "What are the 6 types of print media?" Print media is basically printed materials to promote services, brands or companies. Its term is broad and definitions slightly vary, but typically print media is identified as leaflets, posters, direct mail, newspapers and magazine and even forms of printed banners.
- "What are some examples of print media?" The most common types of print media are leaflets (which is come in all shapes and sizes), posters, direct mail, postcards, business cards, printed banners, newspaper and magazine ads and insertions.
- "What is the importance of printed media?" Print media is often considered an old-fashioned and outdated form of advertising but it is still highly- effective and had stood the test of time. It forms the backbone of many marketing campaigns as it's both cheap and can be highly targeted. Most companies use print media within their advertising campaigns.
- "Is print media still relevant?" Yes, print media although an old-fashioned type of media, still continues to evolve and leaflets and posters still have great pickup and offer "great opportunity to see" when placed in areas of high footfall and locations where a target audience may be out and about socialising.
If would you like to order print, be it leaflets, posters or anything bespoke as mentioned above, simply fill in the contact form on this page and we will be in touch.
We can discuss all of the options available for print media in Pentref-y-groes to help you get what you need.
Topics covered - magazines newspapers, print media in NP11 3.